This is me in a weird place - way out of my comfort zone! Photo credit and thanks to Leah Grey.
I pride myself on trying very hard to be present - when I am home, I am home; when I am at work, I am at work; when I am on the road, I am on the road; when I am talking to you, I am talking to you. I try not to pine for where I am not. This is something I have been working on for a long time. A looooong time.
But ...when I am getting ready to leave Point A and not at Point B yet - I often feel stressed, unsettled and easy to ruffle.
Maybe this happens/has happened to you...
- you haven't left your old job yet but you are not yet settled in a new one
- you need to make an important decision and you are wavering
- you've not quite let go of an old relationship but you are not yet single
- you are learning a new skill - you're better than you were, but still not competent
- you're moving homes, cities, countries; you've packed up one life but not yet unpacked the other
You are not 'here' and not fully 'there' either.
There is push, there is pull.
There may be resistance, anxiety, overwhelm.
Welcome to 'The Weird Place'. The place where everyone goes but no one wants to stay too long.
Since you are here, you may as well settle in and try a few tools to help make your stay more comfortable.
- Be gentle with yourself. Self-care doesn't mean a pedicure, it means listening to what your body is trying to tell you and getting your needs met (interoception - a topic for another day). Do you need solitude, do you need nature, do you need to write, do you need to establish some boundaries, do you need to move your body or stop moving your body? Listen to your body, it's so smart!
- You don't have to know everything today. Start with what you know and then take time to discern. Meditation, prayer, talk with someone you respect and who has your best interests at heart, breathe. If you want to make inspired choices, you can't go wrong with your gut and your heart as your guide.
- Future think. There are 4 broad categories; possible, plausible, probable, and preferred futures, exploring these can help you get out of your own way.
- It's all going to be okay. Feel what you feel and honor it, without judgment but beware of the negative spiral and people who fuel it. Know to the core of your being, it will all be okay.
I believe in you; you've done hard things before and you can do them again. Everything you have done in your life has prepared you for this and what you learn from 'The Weird Place' will serve you as you move into your preferred future!
I'd love to hear your 'Weird Place' story and what helped you through it.
Cheering for you, as always, Steph